Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Prego! (Welcome to my blog)

Ciao amicas! (hello friends)

So that's as far as my Italian goes for right now, we'll see how it progresses as I start writing this blog! Sorry for the delay on this by the way, I have been so wrapped in in Italy...and so procrastinating on sharing it with all of my friends! This post will just be a recap for the last few weeks I've been abroad. Italy is amazing. I didn't really have any concrete expectations on what it would be like, but I am beyond happy for how this trip is turning out! So far I have been to Rome and am now staying in Florence. 


the Colosseum...right as my camera died! :(
the Trevi Foutain...so pretty at night
 
delicious raviolis in Roma
Rome was really fun- we stayed in the Hotel Palatino and got awesome tours around the city to see ancient ruins such as the Colosseum (riiight as my camera died), and even took our own (3 hour long) "adventure" to the Spanish steps (kind of a let down)...and got to see the Trevi fountain along the way (call me greedy- i made 2 wishes in that thing!). We went out to an ice bar called Ice Club  that was -5 degrees Celsius and made completely of ice. We also got a taste of authentic Italy when we went to a bar completely filled with Italians, such a good time, even though we made friends that we couldn't understand. Wicked and Flor will forever be my favorite Italian restaurant and legato place (oh, until I go to a different one, haha). All in all, Roma was great. It was tough living out of our suitcases and eating deli meats for breakfast every day, but finding out my true love for sparkling water (acque frizzante) made it all worthwhile.



view from the top of the Michelangelo
And Florence. First off, this city is sooo much larger than I predicted. Just when I think I kinda know where I'm going I get to a piazza that i have never seen before and start freaking out. It's a big city so when you get lost you better hope your not too far because taxis don't come cheap! i would literally pay someone for a foot massage right now. i hope this walking makes up for the lack of exercise I've attempted in the past...and boy am i paying for it! But its been so worth it!. We have this list of restaurant/bars/gelato places that were trying to go to and so far our favorites have been Grom for gelato and Acqua al 2, where we got a smapler of all the different pastas they offered. My favorites were the red peper and eggplant parm. Rachel got a blueberry steak at this place- delicious! Classes started yesterday and I have had my Italian, Special Event Management, and Fashion Marketing. A little intimidated about all this work but i'm sure it'll be fine!



the piazza Michelangelo church
...and your typical joint asian wedding reception atop the mountain

View from the church
The bars here are also ridiculous. Its weird because its a totally different scene on the weekends than the week days. Italians only party on Friday and Saturday so when we went out at first it was a god mix of Italians and Americans, even if the age range was 16 to 65. During the week though, its strictly Americans, and a couple Italians guys of course. So far, we have been to Red Garter, YAB (aka Step up 4), Space (just nuts), and Old Stove. We made an appearance at a few more on a pub crawl but I really just cannot remember the names- call me American i guess haha.
the Ponte Vecchio, right near our apartment
The apartment is adorable and we got our hot water back today after 3 days without showering! Oh, Italy! A couple of last events that i think are worthwhile to throw in: I got pressured into buying a 100 euro genuine leather jacket, we got locked INSIDE, yes inside, our apartment yesterday because our keys look like ancient treasure box openers, and the port-a-potty smell wafting out of our bathroom has still not gone away. This is going to be an interesting semester...but a great one! And I will try to keep this blog updated as best i can! 

Ciao!


No comments:

Post a Comment